Not much beats the comforts of a warm house during the winter months. Cold weather increases our need to run the heat more frequently. This, paired with typical use of other appliances, can impact monthly energy bills - but help is available.
Indiana Michigan Power (I&M) features dozens of energy-saving ideas, rebate programs and payment assistance options to help customers have a safe and warm winter.
Local and Federal Assistance
We continually work with local and federal organizations to help our customers pay their utility bills. Anyone can call 211 or visit 211.org for information regarding utility, housing, healthcare and other types of assistance available.
Flexible Payment Options
A payment extension may be the necessary option for customers requiring a few extra days to pay a bill in full. Payment arrangements are also available to help spread payments out over a few months. Customers should reach out before their bill is due to set up either option.
Saving Energy at Home
Poorly sealed windows and thinning insulation can significantly impact energy costs. For comfort at home, and on your wallet, a free Home Energy Checkup can identify savings opportunities for income-qualified customers.
During this checkup, homeowners will walk through their home with an I&M energy expert to identify existing concerns. They will also receive a free kit with energy-saving products at this appointment. For more information and to schedule a Home Energy Checkup, call (833) 566-0583 or visit our website.
Tips for Energy-Saving
- Close blinds and curtains at night to keep cold air out, then open them during the day to let the sun warm the room.
- Keep furniture and curtains away from baseboard heaters and leave at least a 3 inch clearance under the unit. This is not only safer, but more efficient for heating.
- Have your heating system inspected regularly. An annual tune-up can help reduce heating costs by up to 5%.
- Planning a vacation? Lower thermostat to 55 degrees to save energy and avoid water pipes from freezing.
- Install more attic insulation. Upgrading insulation from 3 inches to 12 inches can cut heating and cooling costs by up to 20%.
For additional energy-saving tips, head to ElectricIdeas.com/Home to find products, rebates and discounts.
Stay Informed. Stay Safe.
Indiana and Michigan are no strangers to snow, ice and wind. I&M encourages customers to use the Indiana Michigan Power app to monitor the status of any outages affecting your home or business. You can sign up for text and email alerts on the app or on our website. Use our outage map to check the status of an outage near your location.
For the latest updates, follow Indiana Michigan Power on Facebook and Instagram or on Twitter @IN_MI_Power.
Remember to consistently review and update your account to keep information, such as an email address and phone number, current.