A contingent of Indiana Michigan Power (I&M) and AEP employees along with our business partners continue to restore service today as a result of ice and snow that is still impacting the Michiana area. Snowfall overnight caused additional outages, but despite the weather and hazardous conditions more than 16,000 affected customers have been restored.
I&M crews assessing damage have found numerous fallen trees, limbs and branches, more than 50 spans of wire down and 6 broken or damaged poles. I&M will be using drones today to further assess damage primarily in the South Bend area.
More than 660 I&M employees, fellow AEP employees and business partners will work in the wintry conditions to restore power to those affected by this winter storm. The additional crews answered the call for help from Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia.
- It is vital to the safety of our customers and crews that customers who use generators must follow all the guidelines for proper use. It is extremely important never to use a generator indoors or in a partially enclosed space, and never to plug a generator into a wall outlet. Generator safety rules can be found at: https://indianamichiganpower.com/safety/AtHomeSafety/PortableGenerators.aspx
- Stay away from any downed wires and report them to I&M. You can call us at 800-311-4634, report on our app or website, or call 911.
- Trees could fall or drop limbs at any moment, please look up.
- Many roads are icy and may be covered with debris. Please use extreme caution if you must walk outside or drive.
- Traffic lights may not be functioning. Please use caution and be mindful of first responders and utility workers on the roadways.
- Crews will be following all CDC guidelines pertaining to COVID-19 including physical distancing. We urge the general public not to approach our crews.
ESTIMATED TIMES OF RESTORATION:
With numerous spans of wires down and nearly 1,000 separate outages, I&M will continue to restore power to customers until 100% of customers are restored. I&M has established estimated times of restoration for customers affected by the winter storm outages:
South Bend/Elkhart area:
- 75% restored: 11 p.m. tonight
- 100% restored: 3 p.m. Monday
- 100% restored: 6 p.m. tonight
Most customers will be restored before those times. See the section under “Stay Informed” for ways customers can check the status of outages in their area.
APPROXIMATE OUTAGE NUMBERS:
- Indiana Total Customer Outages: 24,100
- South Bend/Elkhart area: 24,060
- Michigan Total Customer Outages: 999
- Buchanan area: 850
- Three Rivers area: 140
I&M encourages customers to use the Indiana Michigan Power app to monitor the status of any outage affecting your home or business. IndianaMichiganPower.com/App
You can sign up for text and email alerts on the app or at IndianaMichiganPower.com/Alerts
See the location and status of outages using our outage map at IndianaMichiganPower.com/OutageMap
For the latest updates please follow Indiana Michigan Power on Facebook and find us on Twitter @IN_MI_Power